Tax Documents

So, it’s that time of year again… tax time.  Here is you guide to understanding what tax forms you need to look for.

- 1099-R

The first and likely most common tax document you will get from us is going to be the 1099-R.

  • The 1099-R reports distributions from annuities, profit-sharing plans, retirement plans, individual retirement accounts (IRAs), insurance contracts and/or pensions.
  • The IRS requires that this form is mailed by January 31st each year.


- 5498

  • Contains information about IRA contributions, rollovers, Roth IRA conversions and required minimum distributions (RMDs).
  • Doesn’t contain distribution information.
  • The IRS requires that this form is mailed by May 31st


- 1099 (from non-retirement accounts)

National Financial Services often sends this as a Consolidated 1099 comprised of the 1099-DIV, 1099-INT and 1099-MISC.

  • 1099-DIV - If you own a stock or mutual fund that pays dividends, you should receive this form.
  • 1099-INT - You should receive this form if you have a checking, savings or other bank account that earns interest.
  • 1099-MISC - You should receive this form if you worked for someone as an independent contractor. If you’re self-employed and have several clients, you should receive a 1099-MISC from each client who paid you $600 or more.
  • The IRS requires these forms are mailed by February 15th each year unless an exception is granted, at which point the deadline moves to March 15th.

National Financial Services (NFS) mails these documents out in batches. The schedule for the 2018 documents is as follows:


 Batch 1 – January, 26th

 Batch 2 – February, 16th

 Batch 3 – March 2nd


- Schedule K-1

  • K-1s are used to report your share of the partnership's income, deductions and credits.
    • Most of you won’t get a K-1 unless you are invested in a Master Limited Partnership.
  • The IRS requires these forms are mailed by March 15th each year.


Most of you have already received your 1099-Rs for 2018 and are probably still waiting on your Consolidated 1099 Tax Forms.  Give us a call if you need a copy of any forms or if you just want to make sure you have everything.